Saturday, March 20, 2010

Oreo Cookies

(I used green food coloring for St. Patty's Day but other than that the frosting was the same)

I've tried another recipe similar and will post that one too, but for now here's this one. They are yummy but way rich and I can hardly eat one.
Homemade Oreos
by Paula Deen

2 boxes Devil's food cake mix
4 eggs
2/3 c. vegetable oil
1 8 oz. package of cream cheese, softened
1/2 c. ( 1 stick ) butter, at room temperature
3 c. confectioners' sugar
1/2 t. vanilla
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper. (I had never used parchment paper until I made these cookies and I'm in love with it now.
In a large bowl combine the cake mix, eggs, and oil with a mixer. The batter will be very stiff. Pinch of pieces of batter and roll into 1 inch balls. Place 1 inch apart on prepared cookie sheets and flatten slightly with fingertips. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, until a slight indentation remains when lightly touched. Remove immediately from the cookie sheets with a spatula and cool on a wire rack.
In a small glass bowl, combine the cream cheese and butter until completely blended. Gradually add in the sugar and vanilla and mix until the icing is smooth. Spread half of the cookies with icing and top with remaining cookies. Store in the refrigerator in an airtight container or resealable plastic bags.

No comments: