Thursday, March 3, 2011

Caramel Popcorn

One of my favorite treats ever is caramel popcorn. And, I've never made it before, until last week. I'm not really sure why. I just never thought it would turn out. But this stuff is seriously amazing! I made it twice, in one week, and pretty much ate it all myself. The first night I was literally sick to my stomach because I couldn't stop eating it. This is going to be a bad recipe for me to have because I have a feeling I will me making it a little to often!I got this recipe from The Girl Who ate Everything Blog
Tiffany's Soft Caramel Popcorn
by Tiffany Thornton
3 bags microwave popcorn, popped
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter (I like to use salted butter since the rest of the popcorn is so sweet)
1 cup light brown sugar
1 cup light corn syrup
1 can sweetened condensed milk

Pop popcorn according to package directions and make sure you get rid of any unpopped kernels. In a large saucepan melt together the butter, brown sugar, and corn syrup. Bring mixture to a boil. Once it comes to a boil, reduce to medium heat and add the can of sweetened condensed milk. With the rubber spatula, stir constantly for 5 minutes scraping the sides and especially the bottom of the pan to
prevent any burning. The longer you cook it the firmer the caramel will be. I like mine a little on the soft side so I like to cook it shy of 5 minutes...around 4 minutes and 30 seconds.

Pour caramel over popcorn and stir until coated. This will take a lot of stirring to get it all incorporated. It's great warm or at room temperature. Feel free to add in M&Ms, nuts, or drizzle it with chocolate. I like it plain and classic. Enjoy!

No comments: