Sunday, April 3, 2011

Saltine Cracker Toffee

I first had this several years ago at Bunco. I've wanted to make it but I just kept forgetting. I was reading my November 2010 issue of People magazine, and this recipe was featured. It reminded me of it so I finally tried it. It was funny because I was getting ready to make it and I saw it on The Girl Who Ate Everything's blog and it was the same recipe.Saltine Cracker Toffee

40 salted saltine crackers or enough to line your pan (next time I'm going to try graham crackers instead)

1 cup butter

1 cup packed brown sugar

2 cups milk chocolate chocolate chips

3/4 cup chopped pecans (optional) I left these out

Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line a cookie sheet or jelly roll pan with saltine crackers in a single layer. In a small pot combine sugar and butter and bring to a boil. Once mixture is at a boil, continue boiling for 3 minutes. Mixture should be a deep caramel color. Immediately pour over saltines and spread to cover crackers completely. Bake at 400 degrees 5 to 6 minutes. It will get all bubbly. Remove from oven and sprinkle chocolate chips over the top and let sit a couple of minutes to melt. (I melted the chocolate chips in the microwave for about 1 minute then spread it on.) Spread melted chocolate and top with chopped nuts if desired. Cool completely and break into pieces.

No comments: