Sunday, November 28, 2010

Candied Yams ~ Sweet Potatoes

I never liked yams until a few years ago. Kyle's sister makes the best ones with pecans on top. I hate pecans so I'm not sure why I fell in love with her Yams, but I did. Then I discovered Texas Roadhouse and I will go there and eat salad, rolls and a loaded sweet potato and I love it. I found several similar recipes online and combined them to come up with this. I used a recipe from all recipes and one from cooks.com plus guessed a little. They tasted yummy. I had to force Karson to eat just 1 and he was gagging with every bite. Funny, pretty much the only baby food he'd eat when he was a baby were sweet potatoes.

Ingredients
4 large sweet potatoes
1/4 cup white sugar
2 teaspoons salt
1/4 cup butter (I used 5 tsp of butter instead of 4)
2 cups brown sugar
2 cups mini marshmallows

Directions
Boil water, add salt, white sugar, and potatoes. Boil until tender, probably about 30 minutes. I put them in before I peeled them. After cooking peel potatoes and slice into approx 2 inch slices and cover bottom of baking dish. Slice butter into small pieces and spread over the potatoes. Sprinkle brown sugar then marshmallows. I may have used to many marshmallows because they didn't brown like they should, but they tasted yummy so I'll probably use that many again.

The recipe I found said to cook for 20 minutes then add marshmallows and cook until the marshmallows are melted. I put everything on, including the marshmallows and cooked for about 20 minutes at 350 degrees. I think they turned out fine this way.

No comments: